[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt-3.10.34-4 dev build released

Neil Shepperd nshepperd at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 08:49:11 EDT 2014

> Sounds like you are going to stick with -4 for a bit?

Actually, this is the first time I've tried cerowrt on a router. But
yeah, I'll stick with the current version unless you come out with a new
patch to try.

> what I've been doing is mounting a usb stick, and just running continuously
> on the stick
>
> tcpdump -s 128 -i ge00 -w ge00.cap &
> tcpdump -s 128 -i sw00 -w sw00.cap &
>
> This definately hurts performance...
>
> And it's probably time to do a tcpdump on the connected device as well.

Update: I did this, and experienced the hang again. A first look at the
tcpdump output on sw00 shows a sudden reduction in traffic at 20:40:54,
so I assume that's probably the time of the event. After that, I see
many DHCP and ARP requests arriving, but no responses leaving the interface.

In fact, I don't see anything leaving except, oddly, some DNS responses
(which are indeed received by my laptop). I also see some EAPOL stuff on
both the router and laptop at roughly the same time, so I guess that's
getting through, but I don't know the direction.

I think next time I'll try with -Pin/-Pout to separate incoming and
outgoing packets properly...

> Hmm. OK, this brings back the device driver into the equation... I
> WAS seeing dhcp and arp requests "getting through" from the captures,
> and it seemed like arp in particular was getting through...

So I guess this is only half right? What I see in syslog is dnsmasq
saying it has sent a packet, but it doesn't make it onto the interface.
Apart from DNS packets, so I don't know what to make of that.

Neil