[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt-3.10.34-4 dev build released

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Sat Apr 5 15:11:53 EDT 2014

Not the cleanest upgrade, for me at least.  It went something like this:

After doing a sysupgrade from 3.10.32-12, Windows file sharing across
the subnets was no longer working.  Referring to:

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Sharing_Windows_Files_from_wired_to_wireless

I noticed that /etc/samba/smb.conf.template had been restored back to
its default.  I made the changes, rebooted a number of times, etc. but
still count not get samba working.

So I tried a "sysupgrade" back to 3.10.32-12, but same results.

I did a clean install of 3.10.34-4. with the same results.

I did a clean install of 3.10.32-12 with the same results.

I then ran across this correspondence between Dave and I from about a month ago:

"After installing Samba, we could not see the remote Windows file
  shares over the network, except by using the TCP/IP v4 numerical
   address. Suspecting it was a WINS problem, I changed the setting on
  both my network adapters (local and remote):

  <network adapter> | Properties
  Click on TCP/IPv4 and then on Properties
  Clicked Advanced button at the bottom, then go to the WINS tab

  I had "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" checked on both computers. I
  changed this to the Default setting (use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP
  server).  After another reboot, the Windows networking was working by
  name."

My Windows network settings hadn't changed, so there was nothing to do here.

Bottom l line, I can access the wired network server from the wireless
machine by numerical IP address only, no longer by WINS address.

I did not try re-flashing all the way back to 3.10.26-7, the version
onto which I had originally made samba run (before upgrading to
3.10.32-9 etc.)

At this point I'm tempted to leave well enough alone, as I've already
re-configured the one application that talks to the network drive to
use the numerical IP address.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us