[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt-3.10.34-4 dev build released

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 13:58:39 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Török Edwin <edwin+ml-cerowrt at etorok.net> wrote:
> On 04/07/2014 05:45 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> Török Edwin <edwin+ml-cerowrt at etorok.net> writes:
>>
>>> I hacked the script to set the interface name for iptables to pppoe-ge00 (not for uci, cause uci
>>> doesn't have an enabled=1 for pppoe):
>>>                 setup_ipset
>>> +               interface=pppoe-ge00
>>>                 setup_iptables "$interface"
>>>
>>> Any idea how to fix this properly without hardcoding the interface
>>> name?
>>
>> Editing the config file by hand should be sufficient rather than having
>> to edit the script (it's in /etc/config/bcp38).
>
> Thanks, that worked (both for /etc/config/bcp38 and /etc/config/sqm).
> The netperf streams seem to be better separated with pppoe-ge00.png

Um, er, I actually found the differences between these two graphs
quite puzzling, as the fq_codel tc filter is supposed to be able to
decode ppp frames and access the 5 tuple including the diffserv bits,
which seems to be happening in the sqm-over-ppp case but not the
sqm-over-normal-ethernet-with-encap-traffic case.

It may be that the iptables rules don't work right on encapsulated
traffic. :grump:

Did you use simple.qos in both cases?

It might be easier to see a difference in performance if you use a
closer server like demo.tohojo.dk.

This is the relevant bit from net/core/flow_dissector.c

        case __constant_htons(ETH_P_PPP_SES): {
                struct {
                        struct pppoe_hdr hdr;
                        __be16 proto;
                } *hdr, _hdr;
                hdr = skb_header_pointer(skb, nhoff, sizeof(_hdr), &_hdr);
                if (!hdr)
                        return false;
                proto = hdr->proto;
                nhoff += PPPOE_SES_HLEN;