[Cerowrt-devel] CVE-2014-0160 : heartbleed CVE on openssl - http://heartbleed.com/

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:38:58 EDT 2014

This one looks pretty nasty.

see http://lwn.net/Articles/593683/ for more details.

The headache and cost of updating all the gear I maintain is insanely high.

Some of my OSes are so old as to no longer have updates, others have ssl certs
that I can now no longer trust for email or imap, still others work on
the vpn... and I only have a few dozen machines to fix, personally.

On the boxes I can update I see a whole bunch of new certs coming down
and it looks like ubuntu 13.10 has an update for sure...

(I feel for those with thousands or more services to patch.)

In cerowrt's case I cannot easily go back and rebuild a "stable" release, and
the vulnerability is limited (with the default package set) to the
admin web interface, which is by default limited to the local
interfaces...

... and by default we use perfect forward secrecy...

... and an attacker would want to read mips data

so the immediate vulnerabilities for cero are small.

but if this CVE is bad as it looks, vast chunks of the internet are
vulnerable, certs stolen, usernames and passwords exposed, end-sites
not trustable, etc, etc.

Cryptogeddon.

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article