[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt-3.10.36-4 released

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Apr 12 20:30:03 EDT 2014

Hi Jim,

On Apr 13, 2014, at 02:22 , Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
>> Hi Valdis,

>>> I'd like to at least try to figure out why the sysupgrade path is busted
>>> before I throw factory.img at it, which will probably wipe out all evidence.
>>>
>>> Any hints where to start looking?
>>
>>        You could try the following:
>> scp /path/to /the/sysupgrade/image.bin root at gw.home.lan:/tmp
>> ssh root at gw.home.lan
>> cd /tmp
>> sysupgrade -n -d 60 -v ./image.bin
>
> I tried this - unfortunately, I lost all my settings in the process.

	Well, the "-n" in the shown evocation requests that the settings are not kept, so this behaves as expected. (Due to the amount of flux in openwrt trunk and cerowrt on top it generally is hazardous to keep the settings; it is way better to make a backup before and then compare files before restoring them)

I guess that means I forgot to lead the whole thing in with:

scp -r root at gw.home.lan:/overlay/* ./overlay_backup
(as /overlay contains all files changes after first boot-up all personalization and site specific configuration settings will be in there).

For completenes' sake:
root at nacktmulle:~# sysupgrade -h
Usage: /sbin/sysupgrade [<upgrade-option>...] <image file or URL>
       /sbin/sysupgrade [-q] [-i] <backup-command> <file>

upgrade-option:
	-d <delay>   add a delay before rebooting
	-f <config>  restore configuration from .tar.gz (file or url)
	-i           interactive mode
	-c           attempt to preserve all changed files in /etc/
	-n           do not save configuration over reflash
	-T | --test
	             Verify image and config .tar.gz but do not actually flash.
	-F | --force
	             Flash image even if image checks fail, this is dangerous!
	-q           less verbose
	-v           more verbose
	-h | --help  display this help

backup-command:
	-b | --create-backup <file>
	             create .tar.gz of files specified in sysupgrade.conf
	             then exit. Does not flash an image. If file is '-',
	             i.e. stdout, verbosity is set to 0 (i.e. quiet).
	-r | --restore-backup <file>
	             restore a .tar.gz created with sysupgrade -b
	             then exit. Does not flash an image. If file is '-',
	             the archive is read from stdin.
	-l | --list-backup
	             list the files that would be backed up when calling
	             sysupgrade -b. Does not create a backup file.

Best Regards
	Sebastian