[Cerowrt-devel] [Dnsmasq-discuss] Problems with DNSsec on Comcast, with Cero 3.10.38-1/DNSmasq 4-26-2014

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Apr 28 15:32:27 EDT 2014

On 28/04/14 19:56, Dave Taht wrote:
> I see A and AAAA requests for for "ds.test-ipv6.com" that fail.

The root of this failure is that DS ds.test-ipv6.com is broken.

 <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @8.8.8.8 ds ds.test-ipv6.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 63751
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ds.test-ipv6.com.		IN	DS

;; Query time: 1186 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Mon Apr 28 20:19:34 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 34

The latest fix I made (when the SERVFAIL reply comes, try the next
possible secure-nonexistent DS record at test-ipv6.com) works sometimes,
but the query above is taking long enough to fail that sometimes the
original requestor has timed out before it gets the answer and tries again.

Neither of authoritative nameservers for test-ipv6.com return answers to
the DS query, they just time out. They do return answers for A and AAAA
queries. That looks broken to me.

Problems like this have been at the root of most (but not all) of the
DNSSEC failures that have been reported.

Cheers,

Simon.