[Cerowrt-devel] 3.10.38-1 sysupgrade not working

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Apr 29 02:59:36 EDT 2014

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:56:45 -0700, Justin Madru said:

> I'm trying to flash the new version (3.10.38-1) using the
> openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin image, but I'm
> getting the following error in the web ui.
>
> "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure
> that you choose the generic image format for your platform."

Ah.. somebody else with the problem :)

Following up on my previous testing - I was on 36-3, and 36-4 and 38-1 both
failed with that same error.  So as suggested by somebody, I scp'ed the 38-1
over to my 3800, and I got the following results from the command line:

First, try in 'test' mode - this returned *very* fast, as in sub-second:

root at bogon-gateway-1:~# sysupgrade -d 60 -v -T /tmp/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

and no output.

So then try for real - and that worked and rebooted to 38-1 with all my config
settings preserved.  Not sure what the TRX header issue is - but it seemed to
come far too late in the process to explain my problems with Luci.

root at bogon-gateway-1:~# sysupgrade -d 60 -v  /tmp/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr380
0-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Saving config files...
etc/xinetd.conf
etc/sysctl.conf
etc/shells
etc/shadow
etc/rc.local
etc/profile
etc/passwd
etc/opkg.conf
etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
etc/inittab
etc/hosts
etc/group
etc/fw_env.config
etc/firewall.user
etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key
etc/dropbear/authorized_keys
etc/dnsmasq.conf
etc/crontabs/root
etc/config/wol
etc/config/wireless
etc/config/upnpd
etc/config/ucitrack
etc/config/ubootenv
etc/config/transmission
etc/config/system
etc/config/sqm
etc/config/snmpd
etc/config/samba
etc/config/radvd
etc/config/qos
etc/config/polipo
etc/config/network
etc/config/natpmp
etc/config/minissdpd
etc/config/luci
etc/config/fstab
etc/config/firewall
etc/config/etherwake
etc/config/dropbear
etc/config/dhcp6c
etc/config/dhcp
etc/config/debloat
etc/config/ddns
etc/config/bcp38
etc/config/babeld
etc/config/aqm
etc/config/alttcp
etc/config/ahcpd
etc/config/6relayd
etc/babeld.conf
etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf
killall: watchdog: no process killed
Sending TERM to remaining processes ... lighttpd logd netifd odhcpd lighttpd cro
nd snmpd pimd xinetd dbus-daemon smbd nmbd avahi-daemon babeld ahcpd rngd ntpd d
nsmasq ubusd askfirst miniupnpd
Sending KILL to remaining processes ... askfirst
Switching to ramdisk...
Performing system upgrade...
Unlocking firmware ...

Writing from <stdin> to firmware ...
Appending jffs2 data from /tmp/sysupgrade.tgz to firmware...TRX header not found
Error fixing up TRX header

Upgrade completed
Rebooting system...

(And when it came back, it was on 38-1.

Pondering  /rom/usr/lib/lua/luci/view/admin_system/flashops.htm didn't
help much.  Down around line 83 we have this:

      <% if image_invalid then %>
             iv class="cbi-section-error"><%:The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format f
      <% end %>

but damned if I can figure out where/how image_invalid gets set on return
from the 'form method=post' above it....