[Cerowrt-devel] How is DSL sold and bandwidth managed in the UK?

Fred Stratton fredstratton at imap.cc
Fri Aug 1 15:51:53 EDT 2014

I shall attempt an answer, probably to a slightly different question to
the one you are actually asking.

Remember, the UK is a member state of the EU.

Cable cost too much to install in the 1980s, partially causing the
demise of Nynex. Cable is routed underground here, like most services.
All cable, which covers most major cities, out as far as here in the
suburbs,  is run by Virgin Media. No price competition. Lost a lot of
video content to BT and Sky. Probably price competitive with Sky
satellite TV.  Tiered bandwidth offering, comparable to fibre in speed,
heavily traffic-shaped.

The telecom operator BT has no state involvement.

BT is comprised of two parts. One is BT Retail, which has circa 38 per
cent of the retail market.

The other part is the supposedly separate OpenReach, which owns and
maintains infrastructure, and sells services to 3rd parties. AFAIK, BT
Wholesale also sells telephony services to third parties on top of
OpenReach services.

Because of its dominant position, the regulator, OfCom, regulates
OpenReach prices for services to third party service providers.

It is currently investigating fibre prices, on the basis that these are
too high.

Not all services come via BT. TalkTalk has the most separated
infrastructure. Sky uses OpenReach fibre backhaul.

Local Loop Unbundling means that there are eight or so different DSLAMs
in each telephone exchange.  Sky and TalkTalk in addition have their own
non OpenReach voice telephony equipment.

There are two tiers of ISP.

One is composed of the big players. These are BT Retail, Sky and
TalkTalk. BT Retail have 5 brands operating as separate entities,
including Plusnet, notable for carrier grade NAT and traffic shaping.
None have caps or download limits.

These three are focused around content delivery, principally video. The
service is cheap, with a plug in gateway provided. Contracts are
generally for one year. Customer service is hopeless. You are paid
inducements and cashback to change provider. Whilst the ADSL price is
cheap, the cost of the phone line is steadily ratcheting up.

If the price of a service increases by 10 per cent or more in a year,
the retail customer can leave the ISP, whatever the contract says.

I am obliged to pay money to a public corporation, the BBC. These are a
major online video content provider, and the main competitor to the
three main ISPs for content. These ISPs pay fees to Akamai principally
to access iPlayer, and complain about it.

The others are the smaller players such as EE, and boutique providers
like Zen and AAISP.

EE, or Everything  Everywhere, are T-Mobile and Orange, a combined unit
in the UK providing mobile telephony, and internet services over the BT
network. BT Wholesale, I think, provide and run their infrastructure.

Zen and AAISP provide a good service over lines rented from OpenReach or
TalkTalk. They have customer dervice and respond to faults. They cost
ten times as much as the big three, because they make their money by
charging for bandwidth. There are many others in this category. Some
provide ipv6.

Retail customers find deals through sites such as this

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

The fibre infrastrucure has been rolled out by BT. Fujitsu, and Digital
Region, a public enterprise, have pulled out or folded.

Sky and TalkTalk currently use OpenReach infrastructure for fibre, but
are introducing some of their own cabinets as a joint experiment.

OpenReach FTTC uses Huawei or ECI MSANs. I have fibre cabinets 200
metres in either direction along the road.

CPE for ADSL is customer installed, and is generally a TrendChip/Ralink
or BroadCom based device with the usual driver BLOBs, a 2.6 series
kernel, and telnet access.

CPE for VDSL/FTTC is the official network endpint for fibre, rather than
the wall plate. The boxes provided are either Huawei HG612, or an ECI
equivalent.

These are cut down gateways without wireless, configured as VDSL2
'modems'. The HG 612 Is Broadcom based and has been unlocked. I have
used one on an ADSL2plus line. Source code is available, even some
Broadcom code released in error by Huawei. The ECI box is Lantiq based,
and blogic has had OpenWRT running on it. There are configuration
problems with uboot, so this not stable.

This partly answers your question. Note also I have said nothing about
mobile internet.