[Cerowrt-devel] Fwd: Will Edwards to give Mill talk in Estonia on 12/10/2014

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 14:18:57 EST 2014

The mill computer is the coolest new cpu architecture I've ever heard
of, and if you are in estonia, you should go to this talk.

If not, the various presentations on each aspect of it, given at
places like stanford, google and elsewhere,
are all worthwhile.

http://millcomputing.com/docs/belt/

Really key to the architecture (and why it's sort of relevant to the
bloat list), is that it can do 30+ ops/cycle, AND context
switch time is *4* cycles - where things like the haswell architecture
are in the 700-1200 range context switch times. Context
switch overhead is one of the reasons why a ton of programmers and
data centers running lots of VMs are going
crazy trying to find new ways to bulk up operations (improving
throughput, at the cost of latency). Getting rid of the
context switch cost (it's the same cost as a subroutine!) has
implications throughout every other layer of the system,
not just for vms in data centers, but high speed embedded processors
of all kinds.

I spent a couple weekends going through the presentations and wiki,
scribbling down some psuedocode for what
I thought would be "hard" cases to actually implement (like a java
stack machine), and in every case, the
arch was a win. Furthermore the presentations were so well constructed
that everytime I had an objection,
it was answered a slide or two later.

If "the belt" can be built, (and I don't see any reason why not, at
this point) wow, it's a game changer.

If I had money to invest, I would. I look forward to the ISA and
compilers being published soon.