[Cerowrt-devel] bcp-38

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 21:51:58 EST 2014

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 07:05:25PM -0500, Dave Taht wrote:
>> - no bcp38 still (help?)
>
> Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do with the bcp38 stuff
> and what makes it so complicated?  I would think you just need to drop
> all packets with source addresses that are not contained in locally
> configured subnets?

Every time I think I have a day set aside to get it done it gets eaten
by something else.

Anyway basic proof of concept code for it is at: https://github.com/dtaht/bcp38
and a start of a script in ceropackages-3.10/net/bcp38.

I'd started at it before we had source specific routing for ipv6 working, so
it's looking like bcp38 for ipv6 is not needed. Yea. Still is a major problem
on ipv4.

The fw3 code has the ability to create/destroy ipsets, but not
a good way to insert firewall rules based on them, and there needs to be
a hook (somewhere) to allow (briefly) for dhcp derived ip addresses to be setup
and tested for double-nat conditions (and at the very least, double-nat
allowed for the first hop off of an interface)

1) What is a locally configured subnet? How do you know it's a locally
configured subnet without deriving it from the entire network? You
can't.

BUT it is this scenario is problematic.  Suppose I had a device on
172.30.41.2 (a dns server). Its router goes away. attempts to access it
then result in this scenario: (true btw)

172.30.43.1 sends packets in the general direction of 172.30.41.2.
But it's router (on 172.30.41.1) has failed.

The route no longer exists, so the
packet goes to the default gw of 172.30.42.1, get's natted
and proceeds merrily on it's way to the next hop(s) outside the gateway,
(so I'm sending a src addr of my external gw, to 172.30.41.2)

At some point (after I've used up paid for bandwidth), something notices
this... which eventually drops the packet, but the notification
doesn't necessarily
make it back.

So what you want is to never double nat your own network when you
don't have to.

that if you send something to an address inside the bcp38 list,
and it gets as far as the nat table, anything with a destination address
in the bcp38 and rfc1918 lists should get a host unreachable message.

You should drop anything in the bcp38 list.

A simpler case is someone pinging the entire 10 net from within your
network. your_network -> gw which nats it -> to the universe. (seen this)

The exception problem is - is that many devices depend on double nat in order to
work right these days. Example: cable modems depend on 192.168.100.1
to be their configuration interface... even if they provide a native ip.

ipsets handle adding the dynamic exceptions like that straightforwardly,

ipset add bcp38-ipv4 192.168.100.1/32 nomatch

And in some hook, somewhere, in the dhcp client script, there could be
something that takes the supplied netmask, and adds that network
to the list. For example, I typically get a 10 net with a /24 from
a netgear router

get dhcp addr, it's got a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and a destintation
of 10.0.1.1 and is assigned 10.0.1.8, setup

ipset add bcp38-ipv4 10.0.1.0/24 nomatch

Lastly,  on inbound, packets from bcp38 and rfc1918 derived networks
should be dropped silently, by basically the same ruleset.

(I do prefer a chatty internal network)

Like I said, proof of concept code exists, I wanted something that could be on
by default, yet readily configurable, and survive firewall reloads as
well as dhcp renews.

Part of the rule set needs to go in the pre-nat table on inbound,
another part before you hit nat out outbound (probly)