[Cerowrt-devel] Will there ever be a stable version of cerowrt?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Feb 7 13:37:46 EST 2014

Hi Dave,

	With ht40+ on 44 I get MCS index 7 with transmigrate 150 reported on my macbook, that according to the table in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009 means 40MHz channel, with netperf-wrapper I get an accumulate of ~100Mbits/s (which actually sounds too good to be true I would have expected 75 tops, but with the macbook hogging all tops, there seems to be less wasted airtime for direction changes). So at least with country code GE channel 44 is capable of operating in ht40+ mode.

> I DO plan a stable release this month if possible, and at the very
> least a code freeze fairly soon.
>
> in cerowrt head are fixes for ipv6 tunnel co-existence, mostly
> everything now using procd, fixed upnp support (think that landed in
> the release above), cleanups of the SQM code for eventual submittal to
> mainline landed also.
>
> *Please note* that a source of hangs in the last several cero releases
> was an oopsy in turning off logging for ahcp and babeld, which filled
> up available memory rapidly. EVERYBODY: Do turn send those logs to
> /dev/null if you haven't already in the relevant /etc/config/ files
> and look for other sources of memory growth from logs.
>
> the remaining problems are:
>
> got competing work requirements terribly pressing, final pie release
> needs to be added, (kind of wanted sch_fq and the other new qdisc from
> 3.13, too) a bunch of ietf drafts are in the nascent stage and stuck
> there, a build server crashed and a whole string of openwrt builds
> failed to build, still need /etc/init.d/babeld support for source
> specific routing and babel to run out of procd, package signing is
> broken, and worst of the cerowrt build broke last week due to some
> changes in the openwrt build process I still don't understand.
>
> There is still one unaligned_instruction trap left to beat that
> appears to be triggered by odhcpd.
>
> root at comcast-gw:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/mips/unaligned_instructions
> 18000

	So with my non-working IP6 on 3.10.28-1, I get:
root at nacktmulle:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/mips/unaligned_instructions
0
root at nacktmulle:~# uptime
 19:35:13 up 11 days, 22:46,  load average: 0.09, 0.43, 1.06

so most of the traps seem fixed!

> One of the things that scares me is that a bunch of openwrt targets
> are migrating to 3.13 and if I miss a window  the very stable 3.10.28
> release is going to get replaced upstream with 3.13 and resultant
> headaches. (and benefits)

	Do yu know what their plan is? Put out a stable version an maintain that or switch to a rolling release cycle?

Best Regards & many Thanks for doing all this
	Sebastian