[Cerowrt-devel] WNDR alternative for higher capacity

Bill Merriam lists at billmerriam.com
Sun Feb 9 12:22:59 EST 2014

On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 22:22:30 +0100
"Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke at toke.dk> wrote:

> So I've hit the capacity limit for the WNDR3800 for upstream
> bandwidth:
> http://files.toke.dk/bufferbloat/data/karlstad/rrul-2014-02-08T195914.021795.cerowrt_3_10_26_fresh_boot_no_sqm.png
>
> This is without sqm enabled, even. When I plug in my laptop instead, I
> get a smooth 100Mbps in both directions. So I'm now looking for
> alternatives to act as router. Any suggestions? I'd prefer dual-band,
> dual radios; similar to what the WNDR has. And has to be able to run
> OpenWRT, of course; in which case I'll try to get Cerowrt running on
> it. :)
>
> One possibility is getting something like a zbox:
> http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/zbox/product/zbox/detail/zbox-id91-1.html
>
> Or a shuttle:
> http://uk.shuttle.com/products/productsSpec?productId=1718
>
> However those might be a bit overkill. Also I can't seem to find any
> info on what wlan card they feature. Does anyone know?
>
> -Toke

The announced but not yet available Linksys WRT1900AC might meet your
needs.  The press release says they are providing advance copies of the
hardware to the openwrt developers and linksys expects openwrt to ready
when the hardware is released in "Spring 2014".

http://www.linksys.com/en-us/press/releases/2014-01-06_Linksys_wrt_revolutionizes_wireless_networking

It seems cerowrt developers need early hardware also.

Bill