[Cerowrt-devel] WNDR alternative for higher capacity

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Sun Feb 9 14:56:47 EST 2014

Fred Stratton <fredstratton at imap.cc> writes:

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shuttle-Ultra-DS47-Barebone-System/dp/B00DK06L6O
>
> Clicking on the pictures reveals a Realtek half-height wireless card.

Yeah, as far as I can tell that says RTL8188CE on there; Google is not
very helpful on that front, though.

> Before you spend money, perhaps I should point out that Shuttle
> hardware has a reputation for poor reliability.

Noted, thanks.

> The problem I ran into on the NUC's was that all the 802.11ac cards
> are presently full-length, and the msata lines had only been run to
> the full length slot rather than the half length ones.

Well I can live without 802.11ac for the time being. However, the
Shuttle data sheet has this paragraph:

> DS47 features two Mini PCI Expess expansion slots which can easily
> accessed by removing the appropriate bay cover. One slot supports half
> size cards and is already occupied with a WLAN card. The other slot also
> supports full size cards and can be used either for a Mini PCIe card or
> for a mSATA (Mini Serial ATA) card, which is a Solid State Drive (SSD)
> in a compact Mini PCIe card form factor.

Which I take to mean that if you use the 2.5" bay for storage, you can
use the full-size minipcie for other purposes.

> It bothers me to have to use a msata card at all, to do what we want
> only needs 16MB of flash, not 16GB of flash. The onboard bios flash on
> these x86 boxes is probably getting close to 16MB already...

Well I was going to run it as a file server as well; probably not
running openwrt, even (though not sure about that just yet).

> I don't know if the realtek ethernet chips got working BQL support
> yet.

Seeing as I'm going to need htb anyways, I can also live with that...

-Toke