[Cerowrt-devel] just when I thought it was safe to do a release

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 12:01:41 EST 2014

The methods of assigning ipv6 addresses have changed somewhat
(possibly obsoleting the relevant scripts)

See

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network

for more details.

All you should have to do is add the he interface, and leverage the
already set ip6assign parameter
for the normal interfaces, and add he to  the firewall rules for ge00.
Not sure if that latter step is
still needed....

AHCP still has to get manually configured, which is a PITA.

( note that I started building the new hnetd, ohybridproxyd, mdnsd
code in this build as downloadable packages. Hopefully these will end
up being the replacements for border discovery and ahcpd, and avahi.
But there is a long way to go, documentation is sparse (aside from the
relevant RFCs), developers few, feel free to explore them)

There are other ipv6 tricks you can play, not all of which appear to be working.

IF you are running native ipv6, you can stop routing dns over ipv4
with the peerdns parameter.

config interface 'ge00'
        option ifname 'ge00'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option peerdns '0' # disable getting dns servers over ipv6

DON'T do this unless you are running native ipv6.

As for stuff that doesn't work...

For example, I tried to leverage ip6hints to statically assign
different ranges of addresses, didn't work.

I thought this would theoretically let me distribute he's addresses to
an internal gw that didn't get
dhcpv6 stuff. It worked, but I didn't get a default route that worked.
(doesn't mean that it won't work
for you, my network is running so much beta code that I have no idea
what could have broke -
I don't see a default route in radvdump at the moment)

config interface 'wan6'
        option ifname '@ge00'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'
        option broadcast '1'
        option metric '2048'
        option reqprefix '60'
        option ip6prefix '2001:Y:X:f0f0::/60' # A different subset
        option ip6prefix '2001:Y:X:fff0::/60' # another subset
        option reqaddress 'try'
#       option clientid 'davedesk' # don't use this param, goes boom.
don't set it in the gui

We hae a long way to go on ipv6, but basic edge functionality is
working pretty good. Just a bunch
of edge cases left to fix.