[Cerowrt-devel] just when I thought it was safe to do a release

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Feb 20 15:08:29 EST 2014

Hi Fred,

On Feb 20, 2014, at 18:24 , Fred Stratton <fredstratton at imap.cc> wrote:

> Aha.. beyond the DSLAM...
>
> I was unaware of that BRAS PPPoE issue.

	And there is no good reason to be aware of that particular screw-up :)

> Before using the 2Wire, I was using aTD-W9870, with a Lantiq chipset. The manufacturers firmware allows you to choose ADSL2+, or ADSL2, or ADSL, specifically.

	My observation in the past was that the DSLAM has to play along; if you try ADSL2 on a ADSL1 line card it will just not sync. Now the ISPs are free to expose several modes on the same line card if they want to. At least in Germany the trend seems to be combined VDSL2/ADSL2+ line cards (with ADSL2+ as fall back for long distances and customers with old modems)

> As you would expect ADSL had the least problems, and gave a full 8 megabits/s.

	I could easily be off, but from looking at the standards I would have guessed that ADSL2+ would be more resilient against interference (at the same bandwidth as ADSL1 it should be more robust, but I assume most modems will trade this additional robustness for higher sync)

> The 2Wire has far fewer problems with the frequent lease renewals the ISP imposes. The TD-W8970 has odd problems.

	Did you use openwrt on the TD-W8970 rot stock firmware?

> You are correct. Most of the telephone cable is shared to the exchange. Most properties have a 10-pair cable, where only one pair is used. Bit-swapping is supposed to mitigate against crosstalk.

	Yes, but I can only do so much, vectoring will help a lot in that regard (by measuring the cross-talk and shaping all signals so that the look great after experiencing cross-talk; pretty cool technology, but also a computational expensive way to push the inevitable fiber-to-the-home further into the future).

> Even when FTTC appears, all cables will be adjacent up to the local MSAN.

	This is why vectoring, with its promise to eradicate DSLAM NEXT and line FEXT almost completely, is going to help a lot. Since fiber is not an option, I am looking forward to switching to that, 100Mbit in 40 Mbit out also is a much saner asymmetry than my current 16in 2.5 out (which is actually quite reasonable for ADSL2+ ;) )

> I doubt I shall go that route. I have cable outside the front door already, which nobody uses, as they are still trying to recoup their infrastructure costs - approx 1.5 milliard euro. All the pit covers say 'NYNEX' on them.

	Well, in germany cable download looks quite nice but the upload with 5M max (2-4 typical) is not quite as good as current VDSL offers (10up) and definitely way off the promised 40up; also a cable node in germany shares ~400MBit among its users while VDSL typical shares 1Gbit.

best regards
	Sebastian