[Cerowrt-devel] Some ancient history...

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 11:27:24 EST 2014

I'd left here by 1997 or so... and nearly all mention of it has
vanished from the web.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/DirectNET+Provides+Affordable+Wireless+Internet+Access+Services+For...-a019706113

We owned channel 13 and routed internet over it, with 14.4 modems
later upgrading to 28.8.... worked pretty good in the lab! Not so much
in the real world (you can only oversell so many subscriptions), and I
think the object lesson we'd got that packets are paired never made it
into many other subconciousnesses...

Prior to that I'd co-founded icanect (1994, but archive.org doesn't go
back that far)

The web looked kind of different then:

https://web.archive.org/web/19961106081231/http://www.icanect.net/

https://web.archive.org/web/19961106085334/http://www.icanect.net/info/about5.htm

Back then I went around as mike, or johnny... I coped with the stress
of running that operation - pre-ssh, pre-http 1.1, pre-nat, pre-dsl,
linux 1.x... by blowing off steam with stuff like:

http://everything2.com/title/System+Administration+-+the+movie

ISDN was then the not-well-understood low latency and bleeding edge
technology, and I still chortle at the joke about how hard it was to
sell it back then in the story above.

(all the stories therein are true, although they happened over 3 days
time, not one)

Ah... memories...