[Cerowrt-devel] SQM Question #5: Link Layer Adaptation Overheads

Fred Stratton fredstratton at imap.cc
Sat Jan 4 10:40:49 PST 2014

Link Names:

For consistency, if ADSL is used as a portmanteau term, them VDSL should
be used as the equivalent for VDSL and VDSL2.

CeroWRT has to decide whether it is an experimental build, or something
that will eventually be used in production, so these decisions can be
made consistently.

I concur with your ADSL setup suggestion as default. I have been running
the Sebastian Moeller ping script overnight to calculate ADSL overhead
for the last several days. After several hours of curve fitting using
Octave, an overhead result is displayed. This novel approach works well.

The overhead for the particular setup I use was 40 for PPPoE, and 10 for
PPPoA.

The default you suggest is a suitable starting point, I suggest.