[Cerowrt-devel] Comcast specific Cerowrt-3.10.26-7: another "too exciting for me" unrelease

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 12:59:21 PST 2014

This is a special release intended only for comcast users with ipv6
capable modems and CMTSes.

NOTE: If you are running any form of tunneling for ipv6 (e.g. hurricane)
do NOT try this release, as it breaks badly.

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~cero2/cerowrt/wndr/comcast/3.10.26-7/

I strongly recommend all cerowrt users on comcast, upgrade.[1]

If you are on comcast and dare not upgrade to this, comment out these
lines in /etc/config/network

#config interface ge01 # wan6 on some release.
#        option ifname   @ge00
#        option proto    dhcpv6
#       option 'broadcast' '1'
#        option 'metric' '2048'
#        option 'reqprefix' '60'

and reboot to disable dhcpv6 on the external interface entirely.

I have been having flashbacks to the IPX/SPX transition... but it
really did bring a tear to my eye to finally have ipv6 connectivity
for the first time, native. And to see no real difference in RTT
between ipv4 and v6.

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/bev/comcast_native_ipv6/

Oh brave new world that may have new protocols in it.

A bunch of other stuff landed in cero, and if you are not tunneling,
and your spouse and family are willing, you can try:

+ openwrt sync from head
+ RA spamming filter stopping mega firewall reloads on comcast ipv6 -
thx steven barth!
+ switch from dnsmasq to using odhcpd for ipv6 RAs (thx #openwrt!)
+ Comcast ipv6 actually tested by me
+ GUI is now https - thx sebastian! (we still have some work left here)
   For snowden points, it also does perfect forward secrecy.
+ GUI has selectable skins (pick one, any one)
+ SQM starts correctly on boot and other restarts
+ SQM now scales better to higher rates
+ updated on-board documentation ( example:
http://cero2.bufferbloat.net/cerowrt/index.html )
+ updated uftp, ccnx, new libnettle package (for dnsmasq 2.69) - thx
stephen walker
+ sysupgrade fixed

on the minus side

- We still have some timing problems in picking up the RAs,
particularly from wifi.
  If you don't get ipv6 addresses on your wifi client after a fresh
boot of cero,
reconnect the wifi client. After cero is fully booted. and has
dhcpv6-pd'd addresses, you'll get them. Usually.

- bcp38: didn't get 'round2it src/dst routing solves half of it
- updated shaperprobe, ditg, same
- HT40+ DOES appear to be NOT working. (this has been the case for a while)
- Hurricane electric ipv6 tunnels are *badly broken* as in *will
disable your router* with a zillion extra processes.

a huge change in openwrt made saturday was a switch to source specific routing,

e.g, if you have two ipv6 providers, (or a vpn, and so on)
stuff from source A will go out the right destination for destination A,
and stuff from source B will go out the right destination for
destination B. At least in theory.

so you will see "from" routes.

root at cerowrt:~# ip -6 route
default from :: via fe80::201:5cff:de41:b841 dev ge00  proto static  metric 1024
default from 2001:E:L:I:D:E:D:Z via fe80::201:5ccf:fe41:b841 dev ge00
proto static  metric 1024
default from 2601:X:Y::0::/60 via fe80::201:5ccf:fe41:b841 dev ge00
proto static  metric 1024
2601:X:Y:0::/64 dev gw00  proto kernel  metric 256  expires 345262sec
2601:X:Y:1::/64 dev gw10  proto kernel  metric 256  expires 345262sec
2601:X:Y:2::/64 dev se00  proto kernel  metric 256  expires 345262sec
2601:X:Y:3::/64 dev sw00  proto kernel  metric 256  expires 345262sec
2601:X:Y:4::/64 dev sw10  proto kernel  metric 256  expires 345262sec
unreachable 2601:X:X:0::/60 dev lo  proto static  metric 2147483647  error -128

I figure there is much work to be done to get things like ipsec and openvpn
and bird/quagga/babeld to work well again, but source/dest routing was
desparately needed, so...

[1] All my testing was done on an ARRIS TM822G cablemodem. (I have a profoundly
low opinion of several other cablemodems, notably the technicolor...)
There are a few other testers on other cablemodems, please report
in...

I return now to my regularly scheduled workweek from last wednesday.
Share and enjoy.