[Cerowrt-devel] 6relayd

Steven Barth cyrus at openwrt.org
Sat Jan 4 04:30:50 EST 2014

On 03.01.2014 19:43, Dave Taht wrote:

> I was also experiencing a race condition with dnsmasq, while I had it enabling
> ra and dhcpv6 via dnsmasq. At the moment that's turned off by default, but
> I did rather prefer having dns names for my ipv6 addresses...
Well 6relayd and odhcpd collect hostnames of clients acquired via
stateful DHCPv6 and export them to dnsmasq in an additional hostfiles.
At least that seemed to work when I last tried it a few months ago. The
only disadvantage is that there is no "ra-names" feature there.

> is there a good way for 6relayd and dnsmasq-dhcpv6 to co-exist?
Ideally they could coexist in a way that you could select dnsmasq and /
or odhcpd for different interfaces on the same machine. odhcpd supports
that but dnsmasq the last time I've looked seemed to use a single socket
binding to all interfaces for DHCP/v6 which prevents coexistance from
working correctly because odhcpd / 6relayd can't bind the socket after
dnsmasq did and vice versa.

>> Feel free to provide me with some debugging information of the system while
>> PD fails for you so I can have a look at the probable cause:
>>
>> * "ifstatus ge00" (replace ge00 with your IPv6 upstream interface)
>> * "ip addr list dev ge01" (replace ge01 with the interface your downstream
>> router is connected)
>> * "ps | grep 6relayd"
>>
>> Anyway I will migrate all the stuff to odhcpd soon (it's successor which
>> shares a good part of the codebase but is a bit better integrated with the
>> rest of the environment).
> same question re dnsmasq.
Yeah as pointed out coexistence is a matter of binding sockets. odhcpd
will bring the functionality of dynamically enabling / disabling
DHCPv4/v6 on interfaces without restarting the daemon and loosing state.
This is one of the main reasons for the change and very much eases
things for high-level protocols that do dynamic wan/lan detection.

Cheers,

Steven