[Cerowrt-devel] SQM Question #5: Link Layer Adaptation Overheads

David Personette dperson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 06:08:27 EST 2014

I'm in the US, but live in a relatively rural area. My only internet
options are DSL and satellite. The local provider is Century Link (it used
to be Sprint, but they sold their copper phone business off). I have the
fastest service that they offer (based on distance from the DSLAM), 4 down
/ .5 up.

I have had SmokePing monitoring my latency to the first hop outside my
network for over a year now (I've been on CeroWRT the whole time). My
baseline (no load) latency is 31ms. I used to have AQM throttling back to
80% of my already pathetic bandwidth. I would still regularly see periods
lasting minutes to hours when latency would be 80 - 120ms.

I only recently grokked what you were talking about with tc_stab since I
got back from the holidays with the family, I set things up as you
suggested for Fred (nfq_codel, "target 25ms" in advanced egress, ATM, per
packet overhead 40, and set my SQM bandwidth limits to 95%). Since the 30th
my "worst case" latency has been 41ms. Plus I get to use more of my actual
bandwidth. I REALLY wish that I'd made the time to read your emails about
setting up the ATM overhead earlier.

Thank you.

--
David P.