[Cerowrt-devel] New Linksys router

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 11:17:21 EST 2014

The press release for the new Linksys WRT1900AC has some details: 1.2GHz dual-core ARM, 128MBytes Flash, 256MBytes DDR3 RAM, 2.4 & 5 GHz dual band, lots of other good stuff. http://www.linksys.com/en-us/press/releases/2014-01-06_Linksys_wrt_revolutionizes_wireless_networking

… and also…

On Jan 7, 2014, at 11:05 AM, Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> Exactly what chips are inside?
>
> Any binary blobs?  Binary blob device drivers are non-starters. Binary blob firmware (e.g. in a wireless chip), can be handled if necessary if the code is available to the community (as is the case with ath9k).
>
> When we can get some (if they are interesting)?
>
> When will their code base be available?

Good point on the blobs. I’m hopeful that their big emphasis on Open Source versions (they mention OpenWrt) will avoid the blobs.

Best,

Rich