[Cerowrt-devel] ADSL2+ modem

Fred Stratton fredstratton at imap.cc
Thu Jan 9 14:40:36 EST 2014

I mentioned a model on the list recently.

Are you remembering that? The model was the TP-Link TD-W8970. This is
Lantiq-based, as is the DSLAM to which I attach. Note that the TD-W8980
looks identical, has a better feature set, but uses a Trendchip SoC,
which is never going to have open source software, and is hopeless on
long lines.

The TD-W8970 has telnet permanently on, with a password of 'admin',
which is immutable. The latest firmware version,  28/08/2013, has a
custom version of u-boot which is difficult to change if your header
soldering skills are below par, but units in Europe have been shipped
with an earlier firmware version. An earlier version allows flashing to
OpenWRT, which is in development for, but unreleased on this device.
There are no external clues on the product box concerning firmware version.

So, there is hope for the future with that device. As you could be 3 to
4 kilometres from the exchange, I guess that a Lantiq box would hold the
line. Others might disagree.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/td-w8970

note the warnings.

(..

reduce it's over buffering,,,

.'its', not 'it's' is the possessive form.)