[Cerowrt-devel] notes on going for a stable release

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Jan 14 19:30:42 EST 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014, Dave Taht wrote:

> I am in strong agreement that cerowrt is close to being ready for a
> stable release.
>
> ** What is a stable release?
>
> To me a "stable release" is something that has been extensively
> tested, benchmarked, and will have a series of updates and security
> fixes for 1-2 years. It has a maintainer, a bug database, a means for
> dealing with major security issues, and so on.

I don't think we need this, but we do need a newer release that doesn't say
"don't use this on anything you care about"

Even if there is no backporting of patches, a release that we can say "This
seems to work well, here are known bugs" and "we plan to make a release like
this at least once every X months"

This isn't freezing a release and only applying bugfixes to it, it's a rolling,
development process where we can point people at something fairly recent to use
and they can use it with the expectation that by the time it becomes badly
obsolete we will have something newer available for them.

David Lang