[Cerowrt-devel] improving security: xinetd

David Lang david at lang.hm
Fri Jan 17 18:24:02 EST 2014

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, Dave Taht wrote:

> in terms of a stable release, improving security some more has been
> weighing on my mind.
>
> One of the things cero does differently than openwrt
> is that it uses the xinetd daemon. It rather than having things like dropbear
> or rsync listening directly on ports, and specifically only allows access
> to certain services (like ssh) from certain ip addresses.
>
> There are also sensors for connection attempts via ftp or telnet that
> disable all services when someone accesses them, for 120 minutes by
> default.

this seems like something that's unreasonable to do on something exposed to the
Internet. There's a very real probability that this will result in you being
unable to access your router because it's always in this 'lockdown' mode. I
don't object to the capability being there, but I do object to it being on by
default, especially for such a long lockout period.

If you make the lockout per-IP then it may be reasonable, but this could result
in a lot of IPs in your block list.

David Lang