[Cerowrt-devel] a new chipset and elsewhere a review of streamboost

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 08:15:59 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Maciej Soltysiak <maciej at soltysiak.com> wrote:
> Couldn't find a mention of *codel, but it would be sad to see vendors
> just sprinkle some traffic shaping on top of codel and brand it.

I'm perfectly happy qualcomm found a way to combine the packet
classification technology acquired from from bigfoot with the scheduling
and aqm stuff given away here, in a business model that seems to be
working. fq_codel made it into wireless-backports because of them,
and now we're seeing the downstream effects when made easily available
in the older kernels common in the embedded world, and when salesreps
have something to push.

they also did up a nice gui. It's really neat they don't mention
bufferbloat, ever, anywhere, and as a positive differentiator, that too,
appears to be working. That's sort of why I keep talking about
the make-wifi-fast concept as - as a mission - it has more positive
connotations, than "if we don't fix bufferbloat the net's gonna die".

ok, bloat fixes are being deployed everywhere along the edge.

and everybody wants to make-wifi-fast. some of the methods for doing so
(wider channels, louder radios) are more hurtful than the ones I'd
like to see getting done, like:

per station queues
maximizing aggregation in txops
multi-user mimo
detecting interference
eliminating reorder buffers
reducing retries
reducing overly agressive attempts at avoiding packet loss
sorting on aggregate dequeue
applying fq_codel on a per station basis

streamboost doesn't - as currently designed - apply to wifi. fq_codel
only barely does at the layer of stack it's in now, and these other factors
predominate.

> It cheers me up that *codel is about to be picked up by the vendors,
> but not when customers are tricked to pay extra for SuperBoostNow [tm]
> or DoMeQuick [tm]...

Well, there has been a lot of snake oil prior to now.

Hopefully the press will start creating more useful benchmarks.

I did bother to reply to that post. Me, I'd like benchmarks...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=101052&posted=1#post101052

one takeaway from that review was...

the next job facing us is to make-wifi-fast again, in increasingly crowded radio
conditions, in a world where people insist on running HD video over it at the
same time expecting decent videoconferencing and (at least my case) mosh
experiences....