[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt-3.10.44-6 report

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed Jul 9 19:23:46 EDT 2014

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
    > I have been pounding several cerowrt boxes utterly flat for 13 days now.

    > root at davedesk:~# uptime
    > 20:54:29 up 13 days, 13:28,  load average: 0.04, 0.04, 0.04 (well,
    > formerly flat prior to this email)

    > Aside from seeing one kernel trap (see bug #442) for it, it's stayed
    > up on wifi, reliably for 10s of thousands of tests... for me.

    > I have - along the way - collected gigabytes of useless packet
    > captures, crashed every serial dongle I own, the 802.11ac ap I'm
    > working on, windows multiple times, and linux on a pair of laptops,
    > and reduced multiple beaglebones with the edimax 802.11ac to
    > gibbering, crashed hysteria unrecoverable even with a usb serial
    > connection, needing a reflash.

    > but never cerowrt. So I'm happy about that,

YEAH! KUDOS

    > I really, really, really, really wanted a stable cerowrt release, and
    > then to move on. I'd hoped that 3.10.44-6 would have been it. I've
    > thought about putting out a bug bounty for it, if that would find
    > someone with the wherewithal to nail this !@#! thing to the floor.

    > In the interim, I'd like to make clear to everyone that I regard bug
    > 442 as the only thing holding up a general stable release, and there
    > have been a couple updates to it.

I have no OSX at my house... it all... well, it's all Linux
(debian/Android/Chrome), with some cisco phones and switches.
I've never seen 442-type thing on any release.

My understanding is that a power cycle of the cerowrt fixes the 442 problem?
Lots of "factory ROMs" need to be power cycled weekly.

So my take is to go forward like this.

    > http://www.teklibre.com/~d/elwr/emails.html

    > My first documented encounter with the need for aqm and packet
    > scheduling on wireless was:

    > Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:18:09

ha.