[Cerowrt-devel] Fastpass: A Centralized "Zero-Queue" Datacenter Network

David Lang david at lang.hm
Fri Jul 18 19:20:28 EDT 2014

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

> "Fastpass is a datacenter network framework that aims for high
> utilization with zero queueing. It provides low median and tail
> latencies for packets, high data rates between machines, and flexible
> network resource allocation policies. The key idea in Fastpass is
> fine-grained control over packet transmission times and network
> paths."
>
> Read more at....
>
> http://fastpass.mit.edu/

<sarcasam>
and all it takes is making one central point aware of all the communications
that is going to take place so that it can coordinate everything.

That is sure to scale to an entire datacenter, and beyond that to the Internet
</sarcasam>

now, back in the real world, you can't reliably get that information for a
single host, let alone an entire datacenter.

not to mention the scalability issues in trying to get that info to a central
point so that it can compute the N! possible paths for the data to take, along
with the data from all the other systems to pack them most efficiently into the
avilable paths.

Someone may eventually make something useful out of this, but I think that it's
at best a typical academic ivory tower type of solution.

David Lang