[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] Check out www.speedof.me - no Flash

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Jul 26 08:53:03 EDT 2014

Hi Valdis,

On Jul 26, 2014, at 00:29 , Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:20:53 -0700, David Lang said:
>
>> cost of bandwidth for this is just something to get someone to pay for (ideally
>> someone with tons of bandwidth already who won't notice this sort of test, even
>> if there are a few going on at once.)
>
> Ask U of Wisconsin how that worked out for them when Netgear shipped some
> new boxes....
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTP_server_misuse_and_abuse#NETGEAR_and_the_University_of_Wisconsin.E2.80.93Madison
>
> It's one thing to come up with a solution that works for the 300 (total wild guess) people
> on this list.  But to be useful for field deployable, it really needs to be able
> to handle a "every Comcast customer in a major metro area", because we *do*
> want this stuff to work well when this makes it into the CPE that Comcast
> gives every new customer, right? :)

	Hence it would be really sweet if the link speed test could be perfumed against the CMTS/DSLAM as these should be powerful enough to handle load from the number of subscribed “homes”. All we need is a fairly cheap way to measure one-way delays to and from the home router… (I think I am just going to try how far supported and how useful ICMP timestamp requests are, I also wonder why these are considered a security risk and seem to be missing in ICMPv6)

Best Regards
	sebastian