[Cerowrt-devel] Ideas on how to simplify and popularize bufferbloat control for consideration.

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Jul 26 19:39:08 EDT 2014

Hi David,

On Jul 27, 2014, at 00:53 , David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jul 2014, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
>
>> Hi David,

>>> what is the latency like without BQL and codel? the pre-bufferbloat version? (without any traffic shaping)
>>
>> 	So I just disabled SQM and the plot looks almost exactly like the broken line plot I sent before (~95ms RTT up from 55ms unloaded, with single pings delayed for > 1000ms, just as with the broken line, with proper shaping even extreme pings stay < 100ms). But as I said before I need to run through my ISP supplied primary router (not just a dumb modem) that also tries to bound the latencies under load to some degree. Actually I just repeated the test connected directly to the primary router and get the same ~95ms average ping time with frequent extremes > 1000ms, so it looks like just getting the shaping wrong by 15% eradicates the buffer de-bloating efforts completely...
>
> just so I understand this completely
>
> you have
>
> debloated box <-> ISP router <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> debloated server?

	Well more like:

	Macbook with dubious bloat-state -> wifi to de-bloated cerowrt box that shapes the traffic -> ISP router -> ADSL -> internet -> server

I assume that Dave debated these servers well, but it should not really matter as the problem are the buffers on both ends of the bottleneck ADSL link.

> and are you measuring the latency impact when uploading or downloading?

	No I measure the impact of latency of saturating both up- and downlink, pretty much the worst case scenario.

> I think a lot of people would be happy with 95ms average pings on a loaded connection, even with occasional outliers.

	No that is too low an aim, this still is not useable for real time applications, we should aim for base RTT plus 10ms. (For very slow links we need to cut some slack but for > 3Mbps 10ms should be achievable )

> It's far better than sustained multi-second ping times which is what I've seen with stock setups.

	True, but compared to multi seconds even <1000ms would be a really great improvement, but also not enough.

> but if no estimate is this bad, how bad is it if you use as your estimate the 'rated' speed of your DSL (i.e. what the ISP claims they are providing you) instead of the fully accurate speed that includes accounting for ATM encapsulation?

	Well ~95ms with outliers > 1000ms, just as bad as no estimate. I shaped 5% below rated speed as reported by the DSL modem, so disabling the ATM link layer adjustments (as shown in the broken lines in the plot), basically increased the effective shaped rate by ~13% or to effectively 107% of line rate, your proposal would be line rate and no link layer adjustments or effectively 110% of line rate; I do not feel like repeating this experiment right now as I think the data so far shows that even with less misjudgment the bloat effect is fully visible ) Not accounting for ATM framing carries a ~10% cost in link speed, as ATM packet size on the wire increases by >= ~10%.

> It's also worth figuring out if this problem would remain in place if you didn't have to go through the ISP router and were runing fq_codel on that router.

	If the DSL modem would be debloated at least on upstream no shaping would be required any more; but that does not fix the need for downstream shaping (and bandwidth estimation) until the head end gear is debloated..

> As long as fixing bufferbloat involves esoteric measurements and tuning, it's not going to be solved, but if it could be solved by people flahing openwrt onto their DSL router and then using the defaults, it could gain traction fairly quickly.

	But as there are only very few DSL modems with open sources (especially of the DSL chips) this just as esoteric ;) Really if equipment manufactures could be convinced to take these issues seriously and actually fix their gear that would be best. But this does not look like it is happening on the fast track. (Even DOCSIS developer cable labs punted on requiring codel or fq_codel in DOCSIS modems since the think that the required timestamps are to “expensive” on the device class they want to use for modems. They opted for PIE, much better than what we have right now but far away from my latency under load increase of 10ms...)

>>> I agree that going from 65ms to 95ms seems significant, but if the stock version goes into up above 1000ms, then I think we are talking about things that are ‘close'
>>
>> 	Well if we include outliers (and we should as enough outliers will degrade the FPS and voip suitability of an otherwise responsive system quickly) stock and improper shaping are in the >1000ms worst case range, while proper SQM bounds this to 100ms.
>>

>>> assuming that latency under load without the improvents got >1000ms
>>>
>>> fast-slow (in ms)
>> ideal=10
>> untuned=43
>> bloated > 1000
>>
>> 	The sign seems off as fast < slow? I like this best ;)
>
> yep, I reversed fast/slow in all of these
>

>>> fast/slow
>>> ideal = 1.25
>>> untuned = 1.83
>>> bloated > 19
>>
>> 	But Fast < Slow and hence this ration should be <0?
>
> 1 not 0, but yes, this is really slow/fast
>
>>> slow/fast
>>> ideal = 0.8
>>> untuned = 0.55
>>> bloated = 0.05
>>>

>> 	and this >0?
>
> and this is really fast/slow

	What about taking the latency difference an re;aging it with a reference time, like say the time a photon would take to travel once around the equator, or the earth’s diamater?

Best Regards
	Sebastian