[Cerowrt-devel] CeroWRT and "FTTN" 50/10 VDSL2 (aka "FIBE")

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue Jun 24 18:48:54 EDT 2014

On Monday I had VDSL2 installed at my home office.

50Mb/s down, 10Mb/s up from storm.ca. Native IPv6, but as far as I can tell,
they aren't speaking DHCPv6; anyway I kept my /56 from my previous
connection, but agreed to swap my IPv4/25 for an IPv4/28.
I moved all my IPv4 to traditional NAT'ed, IPv6 all around, and /32
routed the IPv4 to the various machines that actually need it.

The ISP (www.storm.ca. Great local ISP.) provided me a SmartRG router in
bridged mode.  I'd like to get into it; but they don't answer questions from
"end-users"....

With a laptop hooked up, I saw the full bandwidth.
With the Netgear 3800 running 3.10.44, I saw a max download of 36Mb/s.
Initially, I was seeing 7Mb/s, 640Kb/s up, as well.. that's what the QoS
parameters were set to from my bridge-DSL setup :-)
(So, the good news is that the scripts definitely *do* something...)

I had problems last week with getting bridges over wireless to work,
and later on problems with getting all the wireless devices to come up.

My PPPoE interface doesn't come up on it's own.  What is the "@ge00"
part about?  I'm doing it in /etc/rc.local, which has all sorts of
problems, including failing to include the pppoe-* interface into the
iptables, etc.

At this point my guess is that netifd has some kind of limit on the number of
interfaces it will bring up.  I have 27 interfaces in my the ifconfig,
including the 8 "ifbX" ones, the tun,tap, and my VLANs ("se00.XX") and the
like.  Maybe the number is around 16... I have been looking at netifd source,
and I don't see any obvious struct interfaces[16] or something like that.

Is there a way to enable debugging on netifd?  The -d option to it?
The /etc/rc.common stuff is... a bit impenetrable to me...