[Cerowrt-devel] Verizon FIOS - How to use CeroWRT directly with interactive TV

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:18:14 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Frits Riep <riep at riepnet.com> wrote:
> I have a Verizon FIOS internet, and also use the interactive TV and phone
> services using my WNDR-3800 with CeroWRT.
>

> ·         I have a 75 Mb/s down / 25 Mb/s up residential service in
> Lexington MA
>
> ·         I have an WNDR3800 running CeroWRT 3.10.24-8 and it is directly
> connected to the ONT (Optical Network Terminator), and no Verizon Router.

Oh, cool. I had figured the actiontec router was a hard requirement.

> ·         To get the interactive TV (guide, multi room dvr, and video on
> demand) you need to bridge the ethernet LAN of the router to the TV Coax in
> order to control the settop box and send the video content from the internet
> to the settop box.
>
> ·         The easiest way to bridge the Ethernet network to the Coax is to
> use a MoCA bridge (Media Over Coax Alliance).
>
> ·         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance
>
> ·         D-link, Actiontec, and Netgear offer these MoCA bridges and they
> are under $100.  You can run them with the factory defaults in this mode
> (lan mode).  There is also a WAN mode if you want to use the COAX to the WAN
> interface of the router which is useful if you only have COAX wiring in your
> home and you want to locate your router in a different location from the ONT
> Ethernet jack.

Can you point us at a specific one?

> ·         You need one MoCA bridge to interconnect the Coax to the standard
> twisted pair Lan connection on your router.
>
> ·         The working topology is Verizon ONT Ethernet port to WAN interface
> on CeroWRT router, Moca Bridge in one of the LAN interfaces.
>
> ·         Verizon residential service provides one public IP via DHCP, and
> this IP is bound to the MAC address of the router (which is also typical of
> residential services of cable providers such as Comcast).
>
> ·         To successfully connect the new router (and get a DHCP address),
> you need to either clone the MAC address of the Verizon supplied router or
> call Verizon and have them break the DHCP lease from their end.

Good information, thank you. I had no idea you could toss the supplied
router out the door in verizon's case. They are not doing a very good
job of maintaining the firmware.

> I have successfully been running versions of CeroWRT for about six months,
> and very much appreciate the great work to conquer Bufferbloat.
>

> I have had no issues on the WNDR-3800 getting full throughput of up to 80
> mb/s down, 30 mb/s up using speedtest.net (with speed throttling off. The
> throughput and latency results are excellent when I set the speed throttling
> to 75 down / 25 up, per speedtest.net, pingtest.net and  ICSI Netalyzr even
> on wireless.  Running a ping test in command prompt also shows very low
> latency even when running a full speedtest both up and down on both a wired
> or wireless connection.

Well, you are bottlenecked on the wireless side for speedtest. And netalyzr
can rarely achieve more than 20Mbit on anything. So some of your joy is
misplaced...

What I'd found from testing esr's verizon 25/25 connection was that only the
downlink needed some shaping. at 80/25 I imagine there's not a lot of
downlink buffering.

> Thanks for the great work being done.  I am using this for our home network.
> Should I update to the latest version 3.10.32-10 or is there a new stable in
> the near future?

3.10.32-9 is in the "happens to be pretty stable" catagory, rather
than "intended to be stable". :/

We started shooting for a long-term stable build last august, I'd
hoped to have one by december, and then by mid-feburary...

We seem to be getting close! There are no priority 1 or 2 bugs left, churn
upstream is settling down as barrier breaker gets closer to a freeze, dnsmasq
w/dnssec is nearing a release.

Aside from a couple features I really wanted to have (bcp38, babeld in
procd), and a protocol I wanted to obsolete (ahcp replaced by hncp),
and a daemon I wanted to replace (mdns hybrid proxy in place of
avahi).

... it is long past time to draw a line and declare it done enough.

I think the biggest thing left to do is push the SQM system upstream to openwrt
for comment and revision.

I'd like to gateway a "stable" cerowrt 3.10 on barrier breaker itself
going into a freeze, but can live without that.

AFTER there's a stable release...

There is a ton of new work to do (if I care to think about it) with
the new hnetd (hncp) stuff, the mdnsproxy, hardening the OS further,
getting source specific routing to work better with vpns, finding a
higher end platform with more oomph, etc, but we have to go looking
for grant money to do any of that.