[Cerowrt-devel] Verizon FIOS - How to use CeroWRT directly with interactive TV

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 02:13:50 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Aristar <LeetMiniWheat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Frits Riep <riep at riepnet.com> wrote:
>
>>> ·         I have an WNDR3800 running CeroWRT 3.10.24-8 and it is directly
>>> connected to the ONT (Optical Network Terminator), and no Verizon Router.
>>
>> Oh, cool. I had figured the actiontec router was a hard requirement.
>>
>>> ·         To get the interactive TV (guide, multi room dvr, and video on
>>> demand) you need to bridge the ethernet LAN of the router to the TV Coax in
>>> order to control the settop box and send the video content from the internet
>>> to the settop box.
>>>
>>> ·         The easiest way to bridge the Ethernet network to the Coax is to
>>> use a MoCA bridge (Media Over Coax Alliance).
>>>
>>> ·         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance
>>>
>>> ·         D-link, Actiontec, and Netgear offer these MoCA bridges and they
>>> are under $100.  You can run them with the factory defaults in this mode
>>> (lan mode).  There is also a WAN mode if you want to use the COAX to the WAN
>>> interface of the router which is useful if you only have COAX wiring in your
>>> home and you want to locate your router in a different location from the ONT
>>> Ethernet jack.
>>
>> Can you point us at a specific one?
>
> This is particularly interesting since Verizon will start charging an
> equipment rental fee for their routers. (They've already started
> offering a "improved" router for $100 which probably still sucks).
> Would be nice to give them the middle finger and send their crappy
> router back ^^

That would be a start. Their routers aren't all that bad, when compared
to cpe provided by others. I'd hope, given their vendor, that they'd
start adopting some of this new stuff. In particular I keep hoping they'll
do ipv6....

I note that there will still be some way to get screwed on the rental fee.
I bought a bunch of CM822T modems and replaced the existing cable
modems for a bunch of boxes, and tried to return the old modems - only
to be told that even though telephony worked, they had no way to
"enter the info into the FCC database" and that if I returned the old
modems and stopped getting charged the rent they'd have to turn off
the telephony.

Mind boggling.

Still, I'd rather have good internet than bad, and maybe they will put
the extra 7 dollars a month to good use on improving their own
firmware.

>>> Thanks for the great work being done.  I am using this for our home network.
>>> Should I update to the latest version 3.10.32-10 or is there a new stable in
>>> the near future?
>>
>> 3.10.32-9 is in the "happens to be pretty stable" catagory, rather
>> than "intended to be stable". :/
>>
>> We started shooting for a long-term stable build last august, I'd
>> hoped to have one by december, and then by mid-feburary...
>>
>> We seem to be getting close! There are no priority 1 or 2 bugs left, churn
>> upstream is settling down as barrier breaker gets closer to a freeze, dnsmasq
>> w/dnssec is nearing a release.
>>
>> Aside from a couple features I really wanted to have (bcp38, babeld in
>> procd), and a protocol I wanted to obsolete (ahcp replaced by hncp),
>> and a daemon I wanted to replace (mdns hybrid proxy in place of
>> avahi).
>>
>> ... it is long past time to draw a line and declare it done enough.
>>
>> I think the biggest thing left to do is push the SQM system upstream to openwrt
>> for comment and revision.
>>
>> I'd like to gateway a "stable" cerowrt 3.10 on barrier breaker itself
>> going into a freeze, but can live without that.
>
> I'm very eagerly awaiting the next 3.10 stable release as well, I'm
> afraid to upgrade the 3.7.5 on my FiOS gateway for fear of stability
> issues (30+ days uptime no problems). I do a lot of online gaming and
> I really appreciate all the work you guys do.

Well 3.10.32-9 and later are looking pretty good.

>> AFTER there's a stable release...
>>
>> There is a ton of new work to do (if I care to think about it) with
>> the new hnetd (hncp) stuff, the mdnsproxy, hardening the OS further,
>> getting source specific routing to work better with vpns, finding a
>> higher end platform with more oomph, etc, but we have to go looking
>> for grant money to do any of that.
>
> I'd really love to see dnscrypt-proxy included too, but I understand
> there's more pressing work to be done.

There is seemingly no existing dnscrypt-proxy source package available
for openwrt. I'll gladly toss one into ceropackages if it can be found.