[Cerowrt-devel] Problem with Verizon fios router

Phil Pennock cerowrt-devel+phil at spodhuis.org
Thu Mar 20 05:09:11 EDT 2014

On 2014-03-18 at 22:43 -0700, Dave Taht wrote:
> The wan port of cero should be plugged into the the lan port of the actiontec,
> not the reverse.

Some capabilities context might be helpful.

The Verizon STBs these days have ethernet ports but they're disabled in
the OS and unused, so they can only get data via MoCa on coax.  Thus a
semi-supported configuration from Verizon is to set their router as just
another client device on the LAN, where it acts as a MoCa bridge.  The
WAN port of the ActionTec is used here.  You can disable the wireless on
the ActionTec.

This gets you working on-demand and program guide information, but you
do lose out on all of the tablet remote access features for watching
DVR'd shows and so forth.  The newer functions all require the ActionTec
to be the network router (so bridge mode won't cut it, AFAIK).

Myself, I have cat5 delivery of Internet via FiOS going into a WNDR3800
(running OpenWRT right now) and an ActionTec set up as a client device
MoCa bridge.