[Cerowrt-devel] Ideas on how to simplify and popularize bufferbloat control for consideration.

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed May 21 12:50:46 EDT 2014

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
    > I should point out that another issue with deploying fq_codel widely
    > is that it requires an accurate
    > measurement (currently) of the providers bandwidth.

I've been thinking about ways to do this over PPP(oE) links if one controls
both ends --- many third party internet access ISPs terminate the PPP
on their equipment, rather than the telco's, so it should be possible
to avoid all the L2 issues.

My ISP now offers fiber-to-the-neighbourhood, 50Mb/s down, 10 up.
(vs 7/640 that I have now).  They are offering me an
  http://smartrg.com/products/products/sr505n/

which they suggest I run in bridge (layer-2) mode.  I'm trying to figure out
what is inside, as it has the DSL interface right on it.  I didn't know
of this device before.

    > My hope/expectation is that more ISPs that
    > provide CPE will ship something that is configured correctly by
    > default, following in free.fr's footsteps,
    > and trying to beat the cable industry to the punch, now that the core
    > code is debugged and documented, creating an out-of-box win.

Agreed.