[Cerowrt-devel] [OT] DLink's StreamBoost sends traffic data to remove servers for analysis

Maciej Soltysiak maciej at soltysiak.com
Fri May 23 04:32:48 EDT 2014

Somebody brought this to my attention on twitter today.

DLink's bufferbloat fight branded as StreamBoost has an associated
Cloud Service with it. Users who opt in, get to have their data sent.
The usual reassurances are made, but in this age of privacy paranoia,
I would not be too comfortable optin in sharing. I'd like to see what
gets sent. I trust it's not raw pcaps.

Excerpt:
How does the StreamBoost Cloud service work?
-        Allows your router to send specific data from your router to
help improve StreamBoost performance. The StreamBoost cloud service
takes active measures to delete personal and identifying information
from the collected data.

Information that is sent to the StreamBoost service, once opted in,
includes only stream attribute information that will help improve the
StreamBoost service. There is no attempt to detect the actual content
type (i.e. StreamBoost doesn’t know what movie is being viewed from a
streaming service, only specific network traffic attributes). Once
that data is logged into the StreamBoost Analysis database, the
aggregated data from all routers enables the analysis team to
determine better ways to detect specific applications, adapt to
changes in known applications and/or add new applications. The