[Cerowrt-devel] Ideas on how to simplify and popularize bufferbloat control for consideration.

R. redag2 at gmail.com
Sat May 24 10:12:56 EDT 2014

>> I should point out that another issue with deploying fq_codel widely is that it requires an accurate measurement (currently) of the providers bandwidth.

Pardon my noobiness, but is there a technical obstacle that prevents
the creation of a user-triggered function on the router side that
measures the provider's bandwidth?

Function, when (luci-gui?) triggered, would:

1. Ensure that internet connectivity is present.
2. Disconnect all clients.
3. Engage in DL and UL on a dedicated web server, measure stats and
straight up use them in fq_codel -- or suggest them in appropriate
QoS-gui user-boxes.

Further, this function could be auto-scheduled or made enabled on
router boot up.

I must be missing something important which prevents this. What is it?