[Cerowrt-devel] tracking some diffserv related internet drafts better

Black, David david.black at emc.com
Fri Nov 14 15:49:59 EST 2014

> 	I could be completely off my rocker, but that scheme would work
> perfectly if the edge and the core would use 3 bits each max then the core can
> just move the edge bits 0-2 to the so far empty bits 3-5 on ingres

"so far empty" ... not exactly ... AFxx and EF use those bits:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/dscp-registry/dscp-registry.xhtml#dscp-registry-1

> and back
> to 0-2 on egress and each can do their own thing. On the other hand, if the
> core does not actually use the edge markings then it could also jus ts quash
> them nd the edge would not be any wiser.

The core should be mapping edge markings to core markings and then to some
sort of edge marking at the far edge.  I'd prefer to view terms like "squash"
and "shift" as implementation-specific decisions about how to do those mappings.

DiffServ allows implementers and network operators to do what they want with
DSCPs, with the exception of the CSx DSCPs (details are in RFC 2474, some of
which are already in this discussion).

Thanks,
--David