[Cerowrt-devel] FiOS Quantum Gateway?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 20:41:07 EST 2014

>From looking at their source tarball supplied off that link, they are
shipping linux 3.4.69, which is the stable linux kernel release prior
to fq_codel (and there were many tweaks all over the system through
3.10 that were often important). .69 is pretty recent.

There is a paucity of patches, no indication of what firmware drivers
or even what cpu is in the box, etc. (they DO supply a .config file
for arm). I would certainly like it if someone were to purchase and
tear down this product... it would of course, be awesome, if the
supplied kernel just worked as is but I am as usual pessimistic.

They are promising github support, so perhaps they will start doing
development more openly.

Judging from their marketing, IPv6 support is still irrelevant to verizon.

It has never really been clear to me where exactly the bandwidth rates
and limits were set in a verizon FIOS system, I have generally seen
very good performance on the uplink, and buffering on the downlink
seemingly set for 300mbit (when run at 25mbit). So at least on one
FIOS box I have used, only downlink shaping was needed.

thttp://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Upcoming_Talks