[Cerowrt-devel] [Dnsmasq-discuss] Trying to get hnetd working, trying to get distributed dns better

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 16:36:34 EST 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
> On 23/11/14 17:16, Dave Taht wrote:
>> I setup a bunch of picostations running openwrt barrier breaker to try
>> and get hnetd working, some details here:
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/jV9WJyEYGGP
>>
>> Ran into problems also with getting reverse dns to work right.
>>

> You're doing stuff like rev-server=172.23.2.0/23,172.23.2.1
> but the reverse zone isn't trivially representable as an in-addr.arpa
> zone unless the prefix length is divisible by 8
>
> 2.23.172.in-addr.arpa corresponds with 172.23.2.0/24, but what's the
> equivalent for 172.23.2.0/23

172.23.2.0/24
172.23.3.0/24

But yes, I had forgotten how reverse dns lookups worked in the general
case, and will try distributing a file with the /24s broken out.

Thanks!

> You can do nasties with cnames, but rev-server doesn't. It also doesn't
> seem to error if size%8 != 0, which is bad.

However, I would argue that the correct dnsmasq behavior should be to
break it up into /24s internally, whenever possible, and to retain the
expressive simplicity of being able to specify other prefix lengths.

thttp://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Upcoming_Talks