[Cerowrt-devel] vpn fw question

Eric S. Johansson esj at eggo.org
Thu Oct 2 21:32:58 EDT 2014

I was trying to setup my cerowrt box as an openvpn client. everything
seems to be working. The VPN link comes up, tun0 is created. I can
access machines on the far end of the link from the AP and vice versa.
the openwrt incantation for the vpn says to create an interface called vpn0

network.vpn0=interface
network.vpn0.proto=none
network.vpn0.ifname=tun0

ifconfig says  tun0 exists  but no vpn0. fw3 reload says:

Warning: Section @zone[1] (lan) cannot resolve device of network 'lan'
Warning: Section @zone[2] (guest) cannot resolve device of network 'guest'

sometimes it says: Warning: Section @zone[1] (lan) cannot resolve device
of network 'vpn0'

tcpdump sees the ICMP request at se00 and tun0 but not at the remote
target. this leads me to believe that it's probably a firewall problem
but I don't know where the logs are.

This brings me to one of the problem with had making changes in cerowrt,
namely, how the $##$& do you debug this thing? I've had to reflash this
box way too many times because I did something that effectively bricked
it. right now, I would settle for knowing where to find where logs are put.

thanks
--- eric