[Cerowrt-devel] SQM in mainline openwrt, fq_codel considered for fedora default

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Oct 21 13:24:28 EDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Michal Schmidt <mschmidt at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/2014 06:57 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
>> This is not the place to engage in the systemd debate.
>
> I agree. I wrote one more reply on that topic, but did not and will not
> send it.
>
>> I would appreciate some interest from the systemd folk into the work
>> of ietf  homenet, and into  things like hnetd and mdns proxy. (and the
>> reverse from those working on those concepts) The excessively dynamic
>> nature of the modern ipv6 rollout has led to a need to tightly
>> integrate address assignment,  routing and naming, which helped delay
>> barrier breaker a year and it's not clear to me to what extent the
>> modern linux server or desktop can deal with that and still provide
>> useful services, nor concepts like source specific routing, and better
>> integration with 802.11 and 802.14.
>
> Adding Tom Gundersen (the author of systemd-networkd) to CC in case he
> has any comments about this.

Thanks for the CC Michal.

I have now subscribed to cerowrt-devel (long overdue), and I would
very much appreciate any comments you guys may have on our networking
work in systemd. In particular, if there are any more tweaks like
making fq_codel the deafult, which would be the reasonable choice for
95% of users (most of whom don't know about these things and would
otherwise never touch them), we are very open to suggestions.

As pointed out earlier in this thread, systemd is obviously not a
distro, and the distros have the final say, but I think it makes sense
for us to provide reasonable default sysctl entries wherever we can
(and rather let distros override this if they want).

Cheers,

Tom