[Cerowrt-devel] SQM in mainline openwrt, fq_codel considered for fedora default

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Tue Oct 21 19:18:51 EDT 2014

Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> writes:

> I have now subscribed to cerowrt-devel (long overdue), and I would
> very much appreciate any comments you guys may have on our networking
> work in systemd. In particular, if there are any more tweaks like
> making fq_codel the deafult, which would be the reasonable choice for
> 95% of users (most of whom don't know about these things and would
> otherwise never touch them), we are very open to suggestions.

One thing that has gone into openwrt recently but is not supported in
systemd-networkd is source-specific routing. Since I got an internet
connection too fast for the WNDR to keep up, I've transitioned to an x86
box running Arch Linux for that link. It uses systemd-networkd to setup
most of the networking (which works very well!), but one thing missing
is support for source-specific routing.

Right now, I have a systemd unit to set up my IPv6 tunnel with this in
it:

ExecStart=/usr/bin/ip tunnel add he-ipv6 mode sit remote 216.66.80.90 ttl 255 dev enp2s0
ExecStart=/usr/bin/ip link set he-ipv6 up
ExecStart=/usr/bin/ip addr add 2001:470:xx::2/64 dev he-ipv6
ExecStart=/usr/bin/ip route add default via 2001:470:xx::1 from 2001:470:yy::/48 proto static
ExecStart=/usr/bin/ip route add default via 2001:470:xx::1 from 2001:470:xx::2/128 proto static
ExecStart=/usr/bin/ip route add default from ::/128 dev he-ipv6

The top three lines I can replace by a file in /etc/systemd/network, but
not the bottom three.

Also, having a way to make systemd units depend on network interface
availability (and configuration state) would be neat; to do things like
start up a VPN daemon when the WAN connection becomes available. :)

-Toke