[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] Comcast upped service levels -> WNDR3800 can't cope...

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed Sep 3 02:36:41 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014, Aaron Wood wrote:

>> What this makes me realize is that I should go instrument the cpu stats
>> with each of the various operating modes:
>>
>> * no shaping, anywhere
>> * egress shaping
>> * egress and ingress shaping at various limited levels:
>>     * 10Mbps
>>     * 20Mbps
>>     * 50Mbps
>>     * 100Mbps
>>

> So I set this up tonight, and have a big pile of data to go through.  But
> the headline finding is that the WNDR3800 can't do more than 200Mbps
> ingress, with shaping turned off.  The GbE switch fabric and my setup were
> just fine (pushed some very nice numbers through those interfaces when on
> the switch), but going through the routing engine (NATing), and 200Mbps is
> about all it could do.

it's actually probably the connection tracking, not the routing engine or
iptables. I've seen this a lot on high-traffic systems. I saw something earlier
this week about how the connection tracking has a global lock, so it's
effectivly single threaded, but there is work being done to fix this. Now, lock
contention isn't an issue on a single-core box like the 3800, but the rest of
the work is.

If you can find a place to set it up without NAT, (or with 1:1 NAT that doesn't
need connection tracking), you will see much better performance from it.

For the Scale conference, I disable connection tracking and run them as bridges
to a dedicated VLAN per SSID and do the firewalling and NAT upstream from the
APs

David Lang