[Cerowrt-devel] 10GigE nics and SFP+ modules?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 11:30:52 EDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM,  <dpreed at reed.com> wrote:
> I'm confused....
>

> SFP is not SFP+.   SFP carries at most 4.25 Gb/sec.   SFP+ works at >10
> Gb/sec.   So, it's not clear that the MikroTik is very useful in a 10 Gig
> world.  It's not immediately clear but VERY likely, that this is an "edge
> switch" that is intended for collapsing the GigE copper traffic onto a
> potentially bottlenecked GigE "local backbone".

Yes. And as such it's the cheapest I've ever seen. You can find slightly larger,
rack mount SFP capable switches, but nothing in this form factor that I know
of exists.

> Of course if you want to go from GigE fiber to GigE copper, that board might
> be useful.

In my case, I ended up trying to figure out what the costs would be
for 1G FTTY, which is a run of about 200 meters. This could be a
welcome change from the current 6 hop wifi mesh network in place to
get to the internet from where I sit. As fond as I am of wifi, even
with having high hopes to improve it further, sometimes a cable is
just better.

This was a wonderfully wide-ranging conversation overall, along the
way I learned about the differences between SFP, SFP+, and GSFTP, how
to crimp and run cables, and many of the relevant costs involved at
every layer in doing it...

thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

In my life I've punched holes in coax, run arcnet, climbed mountains
and tall buildings to run wifi P2P links and cut and crimped more
twisted pair than I care to remember, but my exposure to fiber's
methods has been sadly limited, til now.

I still don't quite have a grip on how and when to use various forms
of cwdm or what wavelengths make the most sense, when...

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/make-wifi-fast