[Cerowrt-devel] Fixing bufferbloat: How about an open letter to the web benchmarkers?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 12:03:05 EDT 2014

The theme of networks being "engineered for speedtest" has been a
common thread in nearly  every conversation I've had with ISPs and
vendors using every base technology out there, be it dsl, cable,
ethernet, or fiber, for the last 4 years. Perhaps, in pursuing better
code, and RFCs, and the like, we've been going about fixing
bufferbloat the wrong way.

If Verizon can petition the FCC to change the definition of
broadband... why can't we petition speedtest to *change their test*?
Switching to merely reporting the 98th percentile results for ping
during an upload or download, instead of the baseline ping, would be a
vast improvement on what happens today, and no doubt we could suggest
other improvements.

What if we could publish an open letter to the benchmark makers such
as speedtest, explaining how engineering for their test does *not*
make for a better internet? The press fallout from that letter, would
improve some user education, regardless if we could get the tests
changed or not.

Who here would sign?