[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] Fixing bufferbloat: How about an open letter to the web benchmarkers?

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Thu Sep 11 22:11:32 EDT 2014

The tendency has been (I am also guilty of this) to go down the route
of  'here I made this $bandwidth test' using some
$combination_of_scripts  - tell users to use this It's better and more
reflective of what users should be testing for"

That route is the one I am kinda trying to steer away from, as it
isn't solving the issue. Which is IMHO a user education one.

But yes you are right, you would have to solve this for each and every
measurement site out there, or at the least - the most popular one in
your particular market.

NZ has other challenges in that things like Speedofme are useless for
us because there are no test servers anywhere near our international
IX's and even on 1Gbit machines right on the Global gateway I get
nothing better than 20-30mbit out of it. (TCP BDP is a bitch in NZ).

-Joel