[Cerowrt-devel] Correctly calculating overheads on unknown connections

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 13:55:27 EDT 2014

We'd had a very long thread on cerowrt-devel and in the end sebastian
(I think) had developed some scripts to exaustively (it took hours)
derive the right encapsulation frame size on a link. I can't find the
relevant link right now, ccing that list...

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Andy Furniss <adf.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan Goodman wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking to figure out the most fool proof way to calculate stab
>>  overheads for ADSL/VDSL connections.
>>
>> ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol inet addr:81.149.38.69
>> P-t-P:81.139.160.1 Mask:255.255.255.255 UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP
>> MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1 RX packets:17368223 errors:0 dropped:0
>> overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:12040295 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>> carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 RX bytes:17420109286 (16.2 GiB)
>> TX bytes:3611007028 (3.3 GiB)
>>
>> I am setting a longer txqueuelen as I am not currently using any fair
>>  queuing (buffer bloat issues with sfq)
>

> Whatever is txqlen is on ppp there is likely some other buffer after it
> - the default can hurt with eg, htb as if you don't add qdiscs to
> classes it takes (last time I looked) its qlen from that.
>
> Sfq was only ever meant for bulk, so should really be in addition to
> some classification to separate interactive - I don't really get the

Hmm? sfq separates bulk from interactive pretty nicely. It tends to do
bad things to bulk as it doesn't manage queue length.

A little bit of prioritization or deprioritization for some traffic is
helpful, but most traffic is hard to classify.

> bufferbloat bit, you could make the default 128 limit lower if you wanted.

htb + fq_codel, if available, is the right thing here....

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Wondershaper_Must_Die

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/make-wifi-fast