[Cerowrt-devel] Correctly calculating overheads on unknown connections

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Sep 22 05:05:26 EDT 2014

Hi Bill,

On Sep 21, 2014, at 23:18 , Billy Tallis <wtallis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On my Linux boxes ping has a -A option for adaptive ping, effectively sending out a new ping as soon as the reply to the last one is received, instead of having to wait a fixed period of time between pings.

	Interesting, the current version of ping_sweeper sends a ping every 10ms, with the typical RTT on a ADSL link > 10ms I am not sure how much “-A” speeds things up (except your method does work with any uplink speed, while with fixed intervals one needs to tweak the ping interval). One other reason for the ping interval was, that some routers/BRAS/DSLAMs are rumored to rate limit ICMP processing so I wanted to be able to control the rate to be able to work around such limitations.

> I modified ping_sweeper to use that last December when I was still on a DSL link and was able to find the overhead with only a few minutes of collecting data. (The connection was 6Mbps down, 512kbps up.)

	So, the slower the link is the fewer packed you need, as the per ATM cell time increase gets larger and hence easier to detect in the noise. xDSL uses a symbol rate of 4KHz, so there should be a quantization of 0.25 ms caused that will make detection of fast uplinks trickier (in my experience it works up to 2600Kbps the fastest I had available)...

> There was a bit of noise in the data from other traffic in the house, but the stair-step shape of the plot was unmistakeable and the octave script had no trouble identifying the per-packet overhead.

	Great to hear that is worked out.

Best Regards
	Sebastian