[Cerowrt-devel] anyone have real info on the google router?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Aug 19 02:02:24 EDT 2015

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015, David Lang wrote:

> IIRC the Ath10k wireless is not very hackable (big binary blob), so that
> would mean that unless Google has been able to do something new here, it's
> not very hackable for make-wifi-fast.
>
> Am I remembering correctly?
>
> otherwise it sounds like a nice device for the price.

The IPQ8064 from Qualcomm might become more FOSS-friendly over time,
Qualcomm seems to be going in the right direction, but right now it's
fairly closed down.

So no, I don't see this platform as a short term make-wifi-fast
development platform, at least not without getting Qualcomm onboard and
working closely with the project.

If I understand correctly, we have both the packet accelerator (closed
source) and the ATH10K wireless (closed source) to contend with.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se