[Cerowrt-devel] turris omnia cracks 300k in funding

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Dec 1 07:20:45 EST 2015

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015, John Yates wrote:

> Ha!  I have purchased mini WiFi cards in the past and stuck them in
> laptops but those have always been the card sanctioned by the laptop's
> manufacturer.  I guess it had not occurred to me that WiFi cards must
> conform to some standardized interface and hence be at least moderately
> interchangeable.

Most of the cards is actually mini pci-express, so it's definitely a
standard. On for instance Lenovo laptops, then what PCI-E cards can be put
into them is checked by the BIOS, and there are people that modify their
BIOS to remove this bootup check to be able to put non-sanctioned cards
into the laptop.

Vendors tend to blame for instance FCC for the "sanctioned card"-lock,
but...

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se